She’ll crush you in seconds
So I beg you, take heed
She rests on your shoulder
Destruction’s her goal
And if you should let her
She’ll suck out your soul
(Warning: Sensitive topic & you may not agree. Opinions vary, but who knows! Maybe you’ll find it interesting!)
WHY WRITE ABOUT JEZEBEL?
Recently, I attended a class on “Spiritual Warfare”. It was fascinating to hear about the spirit world (good and bad) and how they surround us in our daily lives.
Jezebel was one of the first spirits the pastor talked about. He said that many people believe that the spirit of Jezebel still influences us today.
If she’s real, it explained a few things as to why certain people may behave the way they do.
WHERE DOES THIS STUFF COME FROM?
Hmmm. Jezebel. How do I introduce her to you properly?
Well, she’s a Biblical character, but not a nice one. Her story is found in 1 and 2 Kings.
The information that follows is a mix of what I learned from the “Spiritual Warfare” class, as well as information I obtained from two websites:
- http://www.gotquestions.org/Jezebel-spirit.html. / http://www.gotquestions.org/who-Baal.html#ixzz2yaVuCOjm
SO WHO IS THIS JEZEBEL?
Jezebel was a daughter of Ethbaal, a cruel and revolting king who considered himself a god.
- Ethbaal promoted the worship of sexual degradation and lewdness
- Jezebel married Ahab (king of Israel) and they led the nation to worship Baal
- Baal was a god whose definition varied, depending on which region of the ancient world you were in. In short, his worship was about sensuality and ritualistic prostitution in temples (I bet some of you are thinking, “that doesn’t sound so bad,” but read on)
- To please (or appease) Baal required human sacrifice (told ya – he was a bad dude)
- The sacrifice was usually the firstborn of the one making the sacrifice (Jeremiah 19:5); Not cool
- Baal’s priests tried to please their god through uninhibited recklessness and craziness, like screaming wildly and self-inflicting injury (1 Kings 18:28)
JEZZY – STUBBORN AND POWER-HUNGRY
SHOWDOWN WITH ELIJAH
That darn Jezebel was obsessed with dominating and controlling others. She wasn’t a fan of Israelites who worshipped God (Jesus’s dad) over Baal and conducted a persistent operation to get rid of these individuals and anything that represented their beliefs.
Jesus’s dad won, but Jezzy was stubborn and refused to admit that Baal may not be the right god to be following.
In her resentment, she vowed to take Elijah’s life.
Her pigheadedness would end up leading to her gruesome demise (2 Kings 9:29-37).
DETERMINED TO HAVE HER WAY, DESPITE THE COST
Jezzy and her husband, Ahab were used to getting what they wanted. One day, they decided they’d like to have the land of this dude named Naboth.
Naboth said, “no way,” and refused to sell.
Ahab, not used to being told “no”, went home and sulked, but Jezzy was not so easily swayed. Disgusted by Ahab’s wimpy attitude, she decided to take things into her own hands.
She framed Naboth and had him stoned to death. His sons were also stoned to death (she was cruel to the bone). Stoning Naboth’s sons ensured there would be no heirs and the land would automatically become the king’s.
AND YOU THOUGHT YOUR KIDS WERE STUBBORN?
Jezzy was resolute to have her way, no matter who she had to abolish. This is one of her most profound characteristics.
Thank goodness our little munchkins aren’t as thick-headed as Jezebel was. She was a real *&@*.
SOME BELIEVE JEZZY’S SPIRIT INFLUENCES US TODAY
Okay, finally getting to the point …
In the last book of the Bible (Revelation 2:18-29), Jesus refers to Jezebel in a warning to the church. It’s believed He was using Jezzy as an example of how NOT to behave (immoral, following false teaching, idolatry, refusing to admit she’s wrong … those sorts of things).
Basically, He says that those who succumb to the Jezebel spirit will be punished, in this life and the hereafter (eternity is a long time, or so I hear).
So, when people refer to others as having a “Jezebel spirit”, they’re saying that others are acting in the same way Jezzy did (engaging in lots of unsavory behaviors)!
Some in the church believe that Jezebel’s spirit is sent by satan to influence people today. It’s said that, if somebody is behaving in a Jezzy-type manner, look over their shoulder. There’s a chance that the spirit of Jezebel is hovering nearby.
HOW DO I KNOW IF JEZEBEL IS HANGING AROUND?
- Unhealthy competition between husband and wife
- Women try to control their husbands
- Angry and passive-aggressive husbands
- Someone who believes he/she is right all the time; always has to win and will argue with you until they feel they have
- Uses blame and guilt to get their way
- Extremely defensive and will retaliate with rumors and lies to discredit anybody who accuses them of wrong-doings
- Prideful; refuses to receive help from somebody who truly cares
- False self-depreciation: “’I wish I was good enough for you,” “I’ll never be smart or pretty,” – this goes along with the guilt aspect
- Is always fishing for compliments
- Is very giving to others, but not out of love; they give to others to boost their own ego
- Willing to disregard others to accomplish their own agenda
- Twists information and confuses conversation
- Doesn’t offer forgiveness or closure in relationship matters; not afraid to use children against their other parent
- Justifies their bad behavior; has an excuse for everything
- Doesn’t ask for the opinions of others, seek wisdom, or exercise self-control
- Easily offended
- Thrives in rebellion or disobedience
- Doesn’t take advice or correction
- Doesn’t respect authority
- Never takes ownership of their own wrongdoings.
- Doesn’t have peace
- Confrontational and conflict-oriented
- Is moody and unpredictable
- Negative and disapproving
NOW, DON’T GO POINTING FINGERS!
I’m guessing you may have read the bullets above and acquired an image of somebody you’ve dealt with in the past. I did.
Fact is, it’s important not to go pointing fingers.
I’m not saying the Jezebel spirit is real. I’m not saying she’s not. I’m just saying, I found it interesting to study about her and I thought you might, also!
If you do think there’s a Jezebel lurking in your midst, pray for the person to recognize and be released from her grip.
Just pray for them and don’t let anybody who you think might be influenced by Jezebel hurt or offend you. Now you know, it’s not a personal attack on YOU. It’s them who is being attacked.
Interesting website that I found when searching for Jezebel pictures.
I’m not advocating everything the website preaches, but it is thought-provoking.